Athletic Training Home
The goal of the Athletic Training Staff is to ensure quality healthcare coverage to all student-athletes throughout the entire season. We want all student-athletes to participate to their fullest potential unless they cannot protect themselves or participation is deemed unsafe for the student-athlete and will make an injury worse. If you become injured, please let your coach and athletic trainer know ASAP.
Some of the links (to the left) will direct you to important safety information.
WHAT TO DO IF AN ATHLETE IS INJURED
1) The student-athlete should first inform the coach and the Athletic Trainer. The athletic trainer will evaluate the injury to decide on the severity and either 1) try to treat at the school and alter participation in the sport or 2) decide that the injury needs to be referred to a doctor or other medical specialist.
2) If any student-athlete is seen by a doctor, please bring back a note regarding the injury, diagnoses, treatment, any recommendations regarding what the student-athlete can or can not do, and when the athlete can return to play. The athlete may have to sit out from participation until information regarding the injury is received.
2) The athlete should follow the PRICES Principle.
- PREVENTION - Make weak body areas stronger with rehabilitation to prevent possible injury.
- REST - or Active rest meaning alter their practice to limit the use of the injured area.
- ICE - Ice the injury for 20-25 minutes. Repeat every 1 to 1 1/2 hours in necessary. This helps reduce pain and inflammation.
- COMPRESSION - Wrap the injured area with an elastic bandage to help reduce or help "push out" the swelling.
- ELEVATION - Elevate the injured area to let gravity get the swelling (from blood) back to the heart. Prop up a leg / foot on a chair or couch.
- SUPPORT - Wear a brace, pad, or tape, etc... on the involved area to try to protect it form re-injury.
3) Communication is key if assisting all student-athletes. Always inform the coach and athletic trainer ASAP.
FOLLOW us on Twitter @CarySportsMed
Certified Athletic Trainer
Eric C. Hall
Office phone: (919) 460-3549 ext 21823
Assistant Athletic Trainer
Office phone: (919) 460-3549 ext ____